Tuesday, March 14, 2017


Life is What Happens...

...When you're busy making plans!  

After the big dig many things started happening.  I have always enjoyed discovering new information about the house--historic and otherwise.  Each little treasure we uncover is special to me--old bottles, nails, horseshoes, whatever.  I have recently discovered that I am not the only one who enjoys this kind of "junk". Through my posts on Instagram I have met many others who collect all kinds of things including old rusty and forgotten cast-offs from another time.  Not only have I enjoyed the camaraderie, it has re-opened a creative part of me that I have not indulged in a long time.  In my quest to document and share these old items I have started doing "collage" photography using my finds and other ephemera in vignettes to showcase them.  These are some of the images I have been working on.



We believe the cast-iron horseshoe and W plate was from an old Warrior horse-drawn mower.  We dug up other parts of the mower including the best part--an easy to identify seat! The Royal Hoof Grower metal lid was used to cover one of the many holes in the walls of the barn.


The metal seagull was one of the many items found in the barn in an array of old tools and various "doodads"!


This old cast-iron water pump was most likely used by the Hurd family shown in this 1880 photograph.



No comments:

Post a Comment